The importance of music to girls

Sunday, August 16, 2009

flw 1
flw 2
can you spot me in here?
Okay, quick post before I hop on a train to Peterborough for a week, where there's little internet access for me. Im volunteering at a camp where we teach girls how to play drums/bass/guitar - they learn their new instruments and form bands, write their own songs and perform them at 'the big gig' at the end of the camp. I'll be there to support the girls, and help them "find their voice". Im hoping they will come to understand themselves a little better, music is "the medium" through which they will do this. I want them to feel empowered by music - to get loud, curious, creative, and a little adventurous. I recently just experienced how empowering music can be. Two days ago I had no idea how to tune a guitar - yesterday I threw all the guitars in my house out of tune and got them back to normal. A small accomplishment but still it felt great.
There are a couple rock camps around the world. They made a movie about the first one in Portland, Oregan. This trailer will make you laugh. It will make you cry. It will help you to understand what I'm doing over there in Peterborough a little better!

Now that Im gone, you may be looking for new reading material. I stumbled upon this one in Urban Outfitters and the back cover gave me chills.

1 comments:


  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP