Color My World

Wednesday, December 22, 2010



Picture 24

Picture 29

Directed by Tom Ford, the fashion designer who turned around the house of Gucci, A Single Man is so beautiful and gripping, I felt a small loss every time the frame changed. The story follows George (Colin Firth) on the day he decides to kill himself. His life is grey and directionless and routine, but on this day he think is his last, George is touched by small moments and memories that make his world, if only for a slippery moment, vibrant and glorious.

In my creative writing classes at Concordia, we write stories and plays and almost always come back to the same question: What's going to change in this characters established life? Why tell the story on this particular day? When George wakes up from a horrible recurring dream and says that this day, he'd decided, was going to be different, I was completely and utterly hooked! Best movie ever.

Picture 25

Picture 26

Picture 28

(Film stills from Annette Murphey , Wednesdays Dream Live Journal and Indie Movies Online

14 comments:

Kirstin said...

It was such a beautiful movie! I loved looking at the clothing and backdrops!

Nnenna said...

A friend recommended this movie to me and I loved it! It was quiet in the best way :)

thatdamngreendress said...

Indeed- you might know what the end will be, but it's so achingly beautiful throughout! I had a hard time getting around Julianne Moore's accent at first, but then her fragility came through to make the character believable.

I almost jumped hearing 'Don Draper' on the phone at the beginning though...

Jenny Morris said...

i couldn't agree more about the julianna moore comment...she really dominates the screen in the trailer but ultimately, she is the least important character and also the flattest character in the film!! though i would agree with you on the vulnerability comment...i love the way she keeps trying to kiss him. its so painful and looks real.

i could watch that movie over and over!!

Jenny Morris said...

that damned green dress - im having trouble commenting on your post about your lovely tree and ornaments! hopefully you will see this :)

thatdamngreendress said...

ha! I guess it's not 'damned' for nothing! Thanks! (I've found Blogger to be a bit persnickety lately...)

Smilinggirly said...

I would like to see that movie... Sounds so nice :) <3

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

Colin Firth really broke my heart in that movie, sniff.

(Hey, I'm delighted to be in any of your categories, and I'm not really sure where would be the best place myself. I'll leave it up to you)! Oh, wanted to say from ages ago that I'd love to have a beer some day, space and time permitting! One day when I make it to Montreal!

Francesca said...

I LOVE this movie. It was shockingly good.

Anonymous said...

thank you for your sweet comment! my bow ring is from a store called LF, they have locations in my town and also in Soho, its a really cool store. i've seen people with similar bow rings from other stores so you can probably find one :)

thestylechild.blogspot.com

Holly said...

Thank you for the lovely comment you left on blog!
I will have to see this movie, it looks really good!

http://fashioninthefog.blogspot.com/

Laura Mullins said...

oh my gosh, i'm dying to watch it now!! sounds like such a good movie.

btw your header is super cute (:

Amber said...

I saw this film and it was so beautiful. Very vivid and simple. Great recommendation. Oh in case I dont get around to blogging tomorrow Have a Merry Merry Christmas

Unknown said...

I thought the movie was just ok. I went to go see it in theatres because it sounded so promising. Colin Firth was really good--well, all the acting was good, really. I just thought that the script was pretty poorly written. I don't know. I got kind of bored. I'd rather have had cool sixties music on and watched it with the sound off, almost. But all of that said, boy, it was a real pleasure to look at! That house, my god. I want it!


  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP