You Me and Dupuis

Sunday, November 28, 2010

DSC_1059

DSC_1120

My heart skipped a beat when I found this coat for 29 dollars at a second hand store...when I brought it home I researched the tag on the inside. Turns out I'm wearing a little piece of Montreal history.

DSC_1068

The Dupuis Freres opened as a small family run clothing store in 1870. It quickly grew into one of Canadas largest department stores, with the help of a branding strategy that appealed to Francophones in Canada and due to the growth of their mail order catalogues - in the 1930's the Dupuis Freres recieved up to 10, 000 catalogue orders a day. The company closed in 1978 due to bankruptcy and company strikes.

Picture 101
Picture 102

It makes me wonder how old my coat is, and who wore it! My dad told me that my Bubbie wore a coat just like this when she was younger. It makes me feel very close to her whenever I put it on! I was sitting on the bus and an old lady was studying my coat carefully...and then she smiled, all lost in thought. She could have been thinking about her grocery list, but I'd like to think the coat brought her back to a happy time :) I guess we will never know!

DSC_1085

Dupuis pictures from here and here. The rest are mine, all mine.

And now to make this the longest post I've ever written...


If you are in Montreal this weekend, check out blizzarts bar at 3956a St Laurent for vintage clothes, beer, performances and art! Just don't buy a brown or black fur hat! I want one for my new coat :)

25 comments:

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

Picture, picture! I love finding second hand Canadian stuff! There's a girl going around campus here in London with a vintage Hudson's Bay coat. I love it, and I love that she probably doesn't know as much about it as I do!

kenseycrane said...

I just found a coat very similar to this one for a fair price as well! so exciting. it looks amazing on you Jenny Morris!

Kallie, Happy Honey and Lark said...

ahh i love clothes with a story. im not sure i've mentioned this but your hair is truly fantastic.

Jenny Morris said...

hey girls! thanks for the comments -

emily - aww a hudsons bay coat that is so cozy! i think if i was in a new country and saw the coat it would warm my heart!!

Jenny Morris said...

also: kensey! is it the fur coat that was on your blog? i think this coat would look classic on you! the only problem with mine is that there is still a smell (even after dry cleaning!!)

kallie - i am obsessed with clothes with a story!!

Unknown said...

That coat is amazzzzing. What a score! Funny that it costs about the same now as it did way back when. And i'm sure that old lady was reminiscing. That's one of my favorite things about dressing vintage... attention from old people. So many women are all "I had shoes just like those!" and it makes me so happy :)

Lourdes said...

What a great find!! It looks great on you! Thanks for the history lesson:)

Fleur-de-Lis said...

wow! great find!!
I'm truly in love with your coat and it's even more special that it has a history!

daisychain said...

Wow what an amazing coat x

Little Nell said...

What a beautiful coat, and a complete steal at $29! That's definitely a keeper.

Penny x

Kassondra DeBoer said...

What an amazing coat! you look wonderful in it too.

Amber said...

wow thats an amazing score and what a fun back story.

Anonymous said...

amazing coat. i better see you waltzing around in this.

Hannie said...

Your coat is AMAZING. You look so vintage and great. I love this look!
xoxo from Hannie

Claire Hart said...

awwww your coat is divine! i love thrifting because of the stories behind each item you come across, and your coat sounds like it has an amazing one!

thanks for your comment also, im following you too :) xx

Louder Than Silence said...

Wow - what an amazing find! I love the old pictures you sourced too sweetie.

Sally x

GAZTE BAT said...

I hve never listen about this brand but It must be gorgeus :)

http://charmingflopy.blogspot.com/

C.Elizabeth said...

I really really like the way you did your hair! It's totally gorgeous!

Sorry about the late reply, but I've been mad busy lately!
Yes, I grew up in Montreal. Well, on the South shore to be more precise! I never realized how much I'd miss it if I ever were to move... and look at me now! I just can't wait to move back! :)

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

Amazing coat! Really really awesome! That should help keep you warm this winter!

laura said...

so sweet! and i love your hair pins. (:

J said...

Great, I love your outfit !
I'm following you :)

Spencer. said...

Beautiful coat, the fur collar is adorable!
x

Anonymous said...

oh my!!! this is absolutely wonderful.
x

Love, Trixie said...

What an amazing find! It looks really lovely on you and for $29? Seriously a steal!
I've been looking for a vintage coat for this winter, just like this for a while now. . . time to check ebay! And your hair looks amazing here too :)

heart and hugs,
Nina

Jinna said...

Ahhh LOVE finding great pieces while thrifting! I recently got a ridiculously gorg long maxi dress for $9! hehe check out my most recent lookbook to see ;)

Love this post! Great blog - I really like your voice and style sense.
Check me out when you get a chance! I'd really appreciate it :)

xoxo, Jinna

http://jinna.fulltimefabulous.com


  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP