Girlhood

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Picture 78

Since hearing about Tavi and Jane's magazine on The Style Rookie, I've been thinking a lot about my girlhood. I was 16 in the picture above, spending the summer at a youth leadership camp in British Columbia. It was the summer before I switched to alternative school for grade 12, the summer I started seeking messages of resistance outside my little suburban life.


Hmm I'm beginning to sound like Baby in the beginning of Dirty Dancing when she's all, "That was the summer we went to Kellermans. When everyone called me Baby and it didn't occur to me to mind". But regardless, my world was starting to open up! Here's a collage of the major things that ignited my passion for seeking empowered girlhood heroines, movements and ideas.

I'm curious...What were some of yours???

girl empowerment

Resources:

TV: My so called life, Freaks and Geeks, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Books: The Fat Girls Guide To Life, How Sassy Changed My Life, She's Shameless: She Writing. Girls write about growing up, rocking out and fighting back, The Vagina Monologues (Cliche but true!) and The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Videos online:

1.Tavi Gevinson's speech about Sassy Magazine. HERE ,

2. Girls Rock! The Movie - a documentary about Rock Camp. Read my experience volunteering at Rock Camp on my blog HERE and HERE.

3. Margaret Cho's political comedy performances (HERE)

4. Kathleen Hanna talks about Riot Grrrl and feminist leadership today on GritTV HERE. Read the Riot Grrrl Manifesto HERE

6 comments:

Unknown said...

So many heroines! I love this collage :)

xoxo
Sophi

Lucie - A Taste Of Vogue said...

I love this collage - and Tavi is such an idol!

X

daisychain said...

What an amazing post :)

Amber said...

I still have a place in my heart for Angela Chase

zs closet said...

I looove Patrick Swayze in that film!!!xx

www.zscloset.blogspot.com


  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP